Friday, September 23, 2016

Grandmother of Dragons: My Daenerys Halloween Costume

Daenerys Dragon Game of Thrones
Daenerys Targaryen Mother of Dragons
I’ve been a fan of HBO’s Game of Thrones for years. My favorite character is Daenerys Targaryen. She’s beautiful; she’s smart; she’s strong; she’s a leader; she’s inspirational.Men love her, they loyally serve her, but only a very few can have her. And she has dragons!

She is called “The Mother of Dragons” because she brought dragons back from extinction. She came upon some dragon eggs and she nurtured them until finally three baby dragons were hatched.  

The little dragons were adorable, but as they grew, there was some adolescent rebellion. However, that phase has ended, and they are now her devoted protectors. There are three magnificent dragons that are hers to command.

I have always loved dragons.

Halloween gave me my chance to be Daenerys. I found what I needed on amazon.

First, I needed a blond wig. I don’t have the right coloring for blonde hair, so it’s not the best look for me. But Daenerys is blond and I wanted to recreate her look.

Next was the dress. I found one on amazon, but I decided to create my own using clothing I already owned. I had a long, flowing, floor length item that replicated the look. I put a cinch belt around my waist and added some gladiator-style sandals that wrapped around the ankle and up the leg.

Lastly I needed a dragon.  I found it on amazon.  I could have bought one to sit on my shoulder, but I fell in love with a beautiful dragon statuette meant for collectors. (After Halloween, I added it to my dragon collection.)  I took a belt that I had that was made with metal rings and wore it as a necklace. Then I used wire to attach the dragon to the rings so that it looked like the dragon was sitting on my shoulder.

I went as Daenerys for Halloween.
Can you see the resemblance?
The outfit was complete, and I was off to a Halloween party. For one night, I was the “Mother of Dragons.”  Given my age, a more apt title was “The Grandmother of Dragons.”  

If you too harbor an urge to be The Mother (or Grandmother) of Dragons for a night, I've collected everything you need for your Daenerys Targaryen costume.  (Click on the captions to see the details for each item.)

I hope they get you started for some cosplay.

P.S See some ideas for dragon costumes for kids here: Dragon Halloween Costumes for Kids  
Dragon Statue
Dragon Statue
to affix to your shoulder

Dragon shoulder sitter
Dragon shoulder sitter

Daenerys wig
Daenerys Wig



Daenerys costume dress
Daenerys Dress





Gladiator Sandals
Gladiator Sandals



Chain Link Belt
to use as a necklace 
cinch belt
Cinch Belt

No comments:

Post a Comment